Thursday, August 20, 2015

August 10th—August 16th: First week in Crosby

To recap the last couple of weeks:

On P-day, we got a call from President saying that I was going to be transferred to Crosby with Elder Faupula, for follow-up training.  Elder Fernandez would be staying in Blackpool and Elder Maughn would be coming here.  Basically, Elder Maughn and I are switching places.  There are parts, like the strength of the members that I will miss, and parts, like the general hardness of the hearts of the people, I will not miss.  I will also miss Elder Fernandez.  Although we have had our struggles, you can’t live six weeks with someone and not find the good in someone, and miss that. 

The next day was busy saying goodbye to members and to Karina and Paul.  They continue to be up and down, one minute they want us to come and the next minute they don’t.  They had texted us and said they didn’t want us to come so I texted them and told them goodbye because I was leaving, and then they immediately called and wanted us to come.  We went there and chatted with them.  After we left I got a call from Karina saying how grateful she and Paul were for me and that there are people you meet in this life that have an influence on you that lasts longer then the person, and I am one of those people to her.  It was super nice to hear.  I was also able to go the the McLucas, the Hardmans, and Barry.  I am going to miss them.  They are such good people.  The members of the Blackpool ward are so strong, they keep Sodom from being destroyed!  Goodbye Blackpool.  I’ll be back some day.

I was super nervous on transfer day.  I had seen Elder Faupula at meetings before, but I had never talked to him.  After getting to talk with him, I knew that it was going to be a great transfer and I was super excited to be with him.  There is definitely a lot that I can learn from him.

The first investigators house that I went to in Crosby was interesting.  We went there for tea. The house was the most vile place I had ever set foot in.  It reeked of cigarette smoke and there was dog hair everywhere and not a clean surface anywhere.  I really didn’t want to eat there.  We washed his dishes while we waited, and I was glad, at least, that I was reasonably confident that they were clean.  I have never felt the true NEED to bless the food to be healthy but in this case, we did, and really we needed to bless it that it wouldn’t kill us. 

We have done several street displays, one with the District Leaders, others with some other missionaries.  I have been so tired from real work.  It has been wonderful.  A couple of highlights from the street displays was talking to this little 94 year old lady.  She was about 4 feet tall and super fun to talk to. We talked about the war, her travels, and about her life.  It was fun.  The other highlight was talking to a man we had met back when I did a street display in Preston.  He was doing a lot better and was a lot happier.  I also talked to a guy who was super interested.  It was pouring rain so I brought him under the canopy.  He asked the typical question of how we are different than his religion.  I told him about the Book of Mormon.  He asked if he could have a book.  He was like, "I’ll donate whatever I need to please have one."  He went on to ask if I could come and teach him more and gave me his address about as fast as I could get out my planner.  He really wanted to know more.  He took a BofM and about every pamphlet we had so that he could read them before our visit.  I really hope he works out.  We will follow up. 

Beside that, we have done some service helping a man dig a hole for a pond.  It is going to be neat, and I hope I get to see it when it is all finished. I spoke in Church my first Sunday.   There are only about 20 active members in Croby.  It is a small but great ward.  We have done some family history work.  I have about 100 names now.  I have also been trying to study the Bible more.  The Book of Mormon is the powerhouse of conversion but a lot of time it’s the bible that opens the door.  With my iPad it is easy to cross reference. 

The last few days have been the happiest of my mission so far.  I truly love this area and these people.  Elder Faupula is wonderful.  He is a more experienced missionary, been out for over a year, very laid back but still dedicated.  Basically I am super happy.  I am grateful for the blessing I have and for the family I have waiting for me back home who love me.  I love having the knowledge that I have a Heavenly Father as well who loves and cares for me individually.


Elder Tarbet

No comments:

Post a Comment