Friday, August 28, 2015

August 17th—August 23rd: An Opportunity for a Baptism

This week was a bit bi-polar.  The highs were high and the lows were low.   

The best part of the week has definitely been meeting Daymon.  He is about 26 years old.  Previous missionaries have tried to meet with him, but he never shows.  Well, he met us and we taught him the gospel of Jesus Christ, faith, repentance, baptism, and confirmation.  We kind of missed endure to the end, my fault.  Oh well, I’ll do better next time.  As we were teaching him, you could tell the Lord has been preparing him for a long time.  He had never read Alma 32:21, but he basically gave us the same definition of faith that is given there.  He kept saying that he is normally not this open, but something just felt right.   When we got to baptism, he told us that he is terrified of water and even just the font (we showed him) made him nervous.  He said though, that he knows that Christ won’t let anything happen to him when he gets baptized.  He actually said “when” and not “if.”  He came to a baptism (her name is Bright, and she was taught by the other Elders) on Sunday morning, and then stayed for Church.  So, he spent four hours at Church and then stayed and talked.  He and the members took to each other and he was very active in participating in the various lessons.  After the baptism we asked him how he felt.  He said it was the first time he felt “pure joy.”  We committed him for baptism on September 12th, which gives us about 3 weeks to get him ready.  He knows that this is the right thing for him.  He is a smoker, so that could be a bit of a problem. 

The other good discussion we had this week was with Eleta.  She is a very good woman who deeply loves Christ.  She has a very active 3 year old, who distracts Eleta during the lessons.  We taught her with the Bishop.  He was fantastic and handled it super well and played (entertained) her daughter as we taught.

Our street displays were most unproductive this week.  I struggled in being able to form a reasonable sentence for some reason. I hadn’t been feeling myself so I asked Elder Faupula to give me a blessing when we were at the chapel.  It was a most powerful blessing and instantly brought back the spirit I had been missing.  He told me to study the powers and rights I have as a bearer of the Priesthood, and that I shouldn’t lose the passion I have.  He actually basically quoted a bit from my patriarchal blessing about learning the atonement and sharing it.  It just changed everything around for me—just brightened my day back up and put the “sunshine in my soul.”  Which is good cuz we had a thunderstorm so sunshine needed to be somewhere. 


Last Monday our district went to the beach and played rugby.  It was super fun.  I am absolutely rubbish at rugby.

Elder Tarbet

No comments:

Post a Comment