Thursday, September 3, 2015

August 24th—August 30th: Another Busy Week—Teaching, Exchanges, and Service

Last pday, we did our usual activities and then went into Liverpool so we could go to the museums.  They were neat.  We mostly went to the Mayan exhibit, and of course as missionaries, we had to look for the bits of things that related to the Book of Mormon or to Christ’s Church.  In general, we found a few things on the older items, mostly dated from about 600 to 900 AD. 

After District meeting on Tuesday, we went on exchanges with the Zone Leaders. I worked with Elder Carpentier, which was great.  I learned a lot about myself and things I can improve upon as a missionary and as a person.  We did a short street display and I taught 4 lessons and got a pretty solid new investigator so that is good. 

We did a lot of service this week.  One day we cleaned up this lady's yard and did some weeding and trimming. When I first saw her lawnmower, I thought it was a toy for one of her grandchildren.  The thing was tiny, plastic, and fire engine red.  It was an electric lawnmower.  I will never be convinced to buy one of those things ever, utter rubbish, fighting the cord was a pain.  The thing was about 1/5 the size of one of my mowers.  We dug out some stumps.  We ate, shared a scripture and left, but not before she rubbed my head and called me babe… now if that wasn’t awkward.  We also helped another family do some paving stones on their patio. 

We taught Daymien twice this week—both times trying to teach about the commandments and the word of wisdom.  He likes to talk a lot and the first time we had a hard time getting him to not talk and to listen.  He wants to keep the commandments but doesn’t understand the urgency.  Daymien brought his Mother to Church on Sunday which was great.  We know where he gets his gift of gab from.  We tried again to teach the Word of Wisdom.  I think we got through better.  Now he just has to understand that there is no baptism till he is living it. 

We taught Electa too.  She is having a hard time because she hasn’t gotten the answer to the Book of Mormon’s truthfulness.  We worked on how to pray properly (she wasn’t doing it in Christ’s name, which is quite common over here for some reason).  Brother Scott came with us.  He is a very devout member with a massive heart.  Her daughter Emily was shy this week, so we could teach a little bit better.  She didn’t come to Church this week as she is often at her mother-in-laws on the weekends, but she has promised to come this next Sunday to the fireside and to Church.  Her husband is a long haul truck driver across the UK.  We haven’t met him but he did take her Book of Mormon to read, so we gave her another one.  I got to talk to Elder Streble (Michael Streble) from Viewmont.  He is in this mission and served in this area.  He wanted some addresses.

We did another street display later in the week.  I had a woman that really wanted to argue and bible bash with me but it wasn’t working because I kept agreeing with her because she was arguing for us not against us.  Oh it was killing me because she wanted to argue so bad but it wasn’t working.  She would step as she argued so I would step back and her husband was standing in the middle as I backed around him he was just grinning.  I was as well.  She was trying to be angry but me and her husband grinning wasn’t letter her.  We parted well and her husband took a family search card.  Apparently family history is wrong as well but he wanted to try it…funny, funny. 

I know that this church is true. I have received witness after witness that it is. Nothing can change what I know to be true, I have received it from God and no man can tell me otherwise (Satan is pretty tricky though).  Prayer is the greatest blessings that we can ever be given, the Atonement being a close second. We as fallen mortal human beings get to talk to the All Mighty Being who created us. And through the power of the atonement he will forgive us every time we ask, if we do so sincerely. 

Elder Tarbet

No comments:

Post a Comment