Thursday, July 14, 2016

July 4th–July 10th: Elder Morgan and Maggie's Baptism

This week has been good. Elder Morgan and myself have gotten on pretty well and he is settling into the area and the mission very well. He is already a much better missionary than myself. We get on very well and haven't had any issues. Elder Morgan is a very good teacher who is a true conduit of the spirit, he is just a spot on good missionary. I hope that I am able to be a good example to him and that we will be able to continue to work well together.

We had Maggie’s baptism this weekend which was so good! Everything came together very well.  The proof of that was yesterday when she pulled me to the side and said "Thank you.  Everything went so smoothly I couldn't believe it." This despite the fact that she was petrified of the water. We had three people in the pool with her just to make sure that she felt secure. She was very grateful that we were able to help her be baptized.  I definitely think that she was one of those friends that I was meant to find.

We had a really good lesson with a long time investigator who has never really gone anywhere.  We sat and talked about faith with him for about an hour—something has really changed about him and it's really showing. I think that the Lord has been trying him about that he might have the desire to change and become better. Funny enough I am actually sitting right here next to him at the library. So funny!!!!  I think that I have spoken about him before—his name is Nanavati.

Henry is another matter. He is going to kill me!! I just feel like we are going in the right direction with him when he comes up with an old monkey wrench that I thought that we had resolved to throw back into the works. It really comes down to, at this point, the fact that he just won’t read the Book of Mormon. He finds it hard to understand, but I know that if he would try that it would be ok. We have committed him to 5 minutes a day including a prayer on each end. Just read one column of the Book of Mormon.

I am happy to be staying in Southport for the 6th transfer. The ward is in a bit of an uproar about a new rule (could be a reinforcement of the rule but it's new to me) about tea being from 5-6. The problem that we face is the fact that most people don't get home from work until half five or even sometimes six. So we will lose most of our tea appointments and our ability to help members with their missionary obligations. Elder Morgan and I found a good way which was to go through very simply a pmg lesson and then invite the members to learn a way that they can teach it simply.  We will then follow up the next time we see them. The only problem is we won't see them anymore. The husbands are gone all day. They have finally gotten back to liking missionaries after most of the bridges were burned by past missionaries, now we are working to get them to actually do stuff. This area is difficult because people are really comfortable where they are, the people don't feel like they need to change, they have their car, house, family, toys etc. I guess we just get to keep working until we find the people that are prepared.

Love you all and hope that you are doing well!
Love
Elder Tarbet

Caelitus Mihi Vires

My Strength is from Heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment